The Great American Bash (2005) was a professional wrestling pay-per-view event produced by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). It was the second such annual event and took place on July 24, 2005 at the HSBC Arena in Buffalo, New York. The event featured wrestlers and other talent that performed on the SmackDown! program.
The main event was Batista defending the World Heavyweight Championship against John Layfield (John "Bradshaw" Layfield or "JBL"). JBL won the match after Batista was disqualified, but did not win the title because a championship can only be won via pinfall or submission. One of the featured matches on the undercard was Rey Mysterio versus Eddie Guerrero, which Mysterio won by pinfall. The other was Orlando Jordan versus Chris Benoit for the WWE United States Championship, which Jordan won, also by pinfall.
The event grossed over $375,000 in ticket sales from an attendance of 8,000, and received about 233,000 pay-per-view buys, the same amount as the following year's event. This enabled WWE's pay-per-view revenue to increase by $4.7 million from the previous year. When the 2005 event was released on DVD, it reached a peak position of second on Billboard's DVD Sales Chart. The event was also available free of charge for Armed Forces members and their families. (more...)
In the news
- On November 18:
- On November 17:
- On November 16:
- On November 13:
Did you know...
- ... that professional wrestler Antonio Pugliese was a fan of opera music and would sing opera before his matches?
- Professional wrestling by year
- 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Professional wrestling championships
- Championships by promotion, Cruiserweight, Hardcore, Heavyweight, Middleweight, Midget, Tag team, Television, Unsanctioned, Welterweight, Women's, World heavyweight, X Division
- Professional wrestling by country
- Professional wrestling genres
- Professional wrestling match types
- Professional wrestling moves
- Professional wrestling performers
- Professional wrestling promotions
- Professional wrestling shows
- Professional wrestling slang