Malagasy presidential election, 2018
This article documents a current election. Information may change rapidly as the election progresses, until official results have been published. Initial news reports may be unreliable, and the last updates to this article may not reflect the most current information. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Former President Marc Ravalomanana, who resigned following a political crisis in 2009, is planning to run for the presidency. His successor, Andry Rajoelina, has also announced his intention to contest the elections. Incumbent Hery Rajaonarimampianina unsuccessfully sought to block Ravaolmanana and Rajoelina from running on grounds that they had participated in the 2009 coup d'état. In September 2018, Rajaonarimampianina stepped down to run for reelection and to allow a caretaker government to administer the vote, in accordance with the Constitution.
There are a record 36 candidates in the race (surpassing the previous record of 33), including four of the five most recent Presidents of Madagascar. However, only five are women, seen by some of illustrating the historic patriarchal dominance in Malagasy politics and culture.
Despite the majority of Malagasy people living in poverty, the elections are expected to be one of the most expensive per capita in 2018. The top three candidates; Hery Rajaonarimampianina, Andry Rajoelina, and Marc Ravalomanana are at a significant financial advantage over the other contenders, with candidate Ny Rado Rafalimanana complaining that due to financial constraints it was impossible for any other candidate to compete with the top three, as there are no campaign finance limits. Some election observers believe that the winner of the election will have more to do with that candidate's financial power and influence than their political positions. The lavish spending on the election has also been criticized due to the large amount of poverty in the country, with many believing the money could be better spent elsewhere.
Although two-thirds of the population is under 25, turnout and interest among young people is low.
|Candidate||Party||First round||Second round|
|Andry Rajoelina||Young Malagasies Determined||1,949,851||39.19|
|Marc Ravalomanana||Tiako I Madagasikara||1,755,885||35.29|
|Hery Rajaonarimampianina||Hery Vaovao ho an'ny Madagasikara||439,837||8.84|
|Andre Christian Dieu Donne Mailhol||GFFM||63,205||1.27|
|Joseph Martin Randriamampionona||Total Refoundation of Madagascar||57,654||1.16|
|Ny Rado Rafalimanana||FOMBA||57,573||1.16|
|Andrianiaina Paul Rabary||MIASA||48.898||0.98|
|Haingo Andrianjakamalala Rasolofonjoa||Avotra ho an'ny firenena||47,750||0.96|
|Mamy Richard Radilofe||Roso ho amin'ny Demokrasia Sosialy||42,663||0.86|
|Eliana Bezaza||Social Democratic Party||42,039||0.85|
|Lalaoarisoa Marcellin Andriantseheno||Tafajiaby||28,190||0.57|
|José Michel Andrianoelison||ARO-RIAKA||26,451||0.53|
|Richard Razafy Rakotofiringa||SJIAM||26,421||0.53|
|Andriamparany Benjamin Radavidson||National Unity, Freedom & Development||25,392||0.51|
|Saraha Rabeharisoa||Liberal Democratic Party||23,633||0.48|
|Olivier Mahafaly Solonandrasana||PARRAINAGE||23,333||0.47|
|Didier Ratsiraka||Association for the Rebirth of Madagascar||22,156||0.45|
|Roland Ratsiraka||Malagasy Tonga Saina||21,410||0.43|
|Serge Jovial Imbeh||Antoky ny Fivoaran'ny Malagasy||19,436||0.39|
|Zafimahaleo Dit Dama Mahaleo Rasolofondraosolo||Manajary Vahoaka||16,390||0.33|
|Omer Beriziky||Antsika Madagasikara||15,300||0.31|
|Jean Jacques Ratsietison||Fahefa-Mividy no Ilain'ny Malagasy||15,230||0.31|
|Erick Francis Rajaonary||Malagasy Miray sy Mifankatia||14,683||0.30|
|Rivomanantsoa Orlando Robimanana||Madagsikara Vina sy Fanantenana||14,563||0.29|
|Jean Max Rakotomamomjy||LEADER-Fanilo||11,363||0.23|
|Rolland Jules Etienne||Madagasikara Fivoarana||10,733||0.22|
|Bruno Rabarihoela||Fahazavan'i Madagasikara||9,964||0.20|
|Roseline Emma Rasolovoahangy||Ezaka Mampandroso Antsika||8,573||0.17|
|Jean Louis Zafivao||Gasy Mifankatia||6,121||0.12|
|Stephan Narison||Antoko Gasy Miara Mandroso||5,643||0.11|
|Solo Norbert Randriamorasata||Democratic Union of the Christians of Madagascar||5,189||0.10|
- Madagascar: l’élection présidentielle aura lieu le 7 novembre RFI
- Madagascar: Election for President IFES
- Madagascar: Return of a President Al Jazeera, 2 December 2017
- Madagascar: élection présidentielle les 24 novembre et 24 décembre 2018 (ministre) TV4 Monde, 3 March 2018
- Martin R. Rupiya (18 September 2018). "SADC's problem child is going to the polls". Mail and Guardian. Africa. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- Peter Mann (18 October 2018). "Democracy and kleptocracy vie for power in epic Madagascan election". Business Day. Retrieved 18 October 2018.
- Miller, Fahmida (6 November 2018). "Madagascar election: Women struggle for place in politics". Al Jazeera. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Madagascar Presidential candidates express concern over finance". AFP. Africa News. 3 November 2018. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Filou, Emilie (2 October 2018). "Madagascar elections: 36 candidates, 4 (ex-)presidents, and a lot of money". African Arguments. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Nsongan, Philemon Mbale (6 November 2018). "Madagascar: timid concerns in politics by youths". Africa News. Retrieved 6 November 2018.