Evany José Metzker
This article provides insufficient context for those unfamiliar with the subject.Learn how and when to remove this template message)(December 2015) (
|Evany José Metzker|
|Died||May 13 or 14, 2015 (aged 67)|
|Cause of death||Decapitation|
|Body discovered||Padre Paraíso, Brazil|
|Spouse(s)||Ilma Chaves Silva Borges|
Metzker had been working on a series of stories in the Jequitinhonha Valley, one of Brazil's poorest regions, when he was killed. After his body was found, investigators determined that he had been tortured, scalped, and then beheaded. Records show that Metzker had been investigating political corruption, child prostitution, and drug dealing. On his blog, he often reported on corrupt officials and politicians. He was missing for five days before police found his body. His family said the police had received an anonymous tip as to where they could find his remains which were subsequently found near Padre Paraíso in Minas Gerais.
At least fourteen journalists have been killed since 2011 in retaliation for their work. Brazil is the third most dangerous country for journalists in Latin America after Mexico and Colombia. Other journalists were killed around the same time as Metzker.
- Human rights in Brazil
- Edinaldo Filgueira
- Décio Sá
- Marcos de Barros Leopoldo Guerra
- Orislandio Timóteo Araújo
- Ítalo Eduardo Diniz Barros
- "Evany José Metzker dead: Decapitated body of Brazilian journalist and blogger investigating child prostitution ring found". Independent. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "Brazil probes killing of journalist Evany Jose Metzker - BBC News". Bbc.com. Retrieved 2015-09-29.
- Boyle, Darren (2015-05-21). "Brazilian blogger Evany Jose Metzker murdered after investigating child prostitution | Daily Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-09-29.
- "Brazil blogger known for reporting on corruption found decapitated | World news". The Guardian. Retrieved 2015-09-29.
- "Investigative reporter who probed political corruption in Brazil found decapitated". Fox News Latino.
- Lee, Brianna (20 May 2015). "Brazil Journalist Murder Highlights Violence Against Reporters In The Country". International Business Times.
- Romero, Simon. "Murder of Brazilian Journalist Furthers Alarming Trend". New York Times.
- "Director-General denounces murder of investigative journalist Evany José Metzker in Brazil". UNESCO Press. May 27, 2015.
- "Investigative journalist found beheaded in Minas Gerais - Reporters Without Borders". rsf.org. May 20, 2015.
- "Brazilian anti-corruption blogger Evany José Metzker found dead". DW.COM. May 21, 2015.
|This article about a Brazilian journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|